there’s nothing better than a hearty bowl of hot soup and a loaf of warm sourdough on a cool winter evening. you’re looking at our dinner tonight..yum!
this may sound crazy but this was my first time making split pea soup from scratch, yeh i know right.. i gathered my ingredients last week waiting for the perfect night to try out my new creation and of course my husband was more than willing to be my taste tester.
i adore my crock pot, and with a little planning ahead it makes dinner so simple, set the table, slice the bread and serve.
this recipe is quick and easy, so dust off that crock pot, set it and forget it..until dinner is served! enjoy!
i layer the split peas, butter, onion, celery, carrots and italian parsley before adding the Penzeys Vegetable Soup Base, water, ham shank and seasonings.
- 1½ lbs smoked ham shank
- 3 cups uncooked organic split peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ¼ cup italian parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoon Penzeys Vegetable Soup Base
- 8 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Layer the split peas, chopped onion, minced garlic, butter, diced carrots, diced celery, and chopped onion in your crockpot.
- Heat 1 cup water in the microwave, then add Penzey's Vegetable Soup Base and stir until dissolved.
- Pour soup base broth into crockpot and add the additional 7 cups of water.
- Add thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Gently stir ingredients.
- Lastly, place your smoked ham shank into the center.
- Set on high and cook for 5-6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before cooking is complete, spoon the ham shank out and onto a plate.
- Shred the meat off the bone, discarding the fat.
- Spoon the meat back into the crockpot and cook the additional 30 minutes.