many of todays cleaners not only remove dirt, they leave behind toxic chemicals, are not safe for use around children or pets, and shouldn’t be inhaled.
all one has to do is read the ingredients on the label to understand, modern day cleaners are not a healthy option for you or your family.
a few years ago, i decided to do away with all my toxic cleansers, and search for more eco friendly, natural choices for my household and the environment.
this formula is not only cost effective to make, it cleans, disinfects, fights soap scum, mineral deposits and smells great too, and no it doesn’t smell like vinegar!
- 12 ounces white distilled vinegar
- 12 ounces clear dishwashing soap – i use Earth Friendly Dishmate – Natural Pear Scent
- 1 24oz spray bottle
- 15-20 drops tea tree essential oil (a natural disinfectant)
- 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil (a natural antibacterial)
use a large 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup to mix & measure the ingredients.
- pour 12 ounces of white distilled vinegar into the measuring cup.
- add 12 ounces of clear dishwashing soap (Earth Friendly, Clear Dawn, or Castile Soap work great).
- add 15-20 drops each of tea tree and lavender essential oils.
- stir, pour through funnel into your spray bottle.
- i ordered waterproof labels through OnlineLabels.com. you can also print a clear address label (use clear packing tape over the address label to keep the label dry), or use a label maker, or a permanent marker to label your spray bottle.
instructions for use.
Shake before each use.
- for showers, glass doors, faucets, anywhere with soap scum or mineral build up, spray and leave on for 30+ minutes depending on the amount of build up. no harsh scrubbing needed, i use a microfiber cloth that has mesh on one side and microfiber on the other, dampen it, rub down the surface, and rinse well with warm water. i’ve be known to take a shower, spray the shower down with this cleaner, go shopping, and return to wipe and rinse, done!
- for counter tops, floors, appliances, hand rails, doors, etc. simply spray and wipe off with a clean sponge or cloth.
- regular weekly use of this all purpose cleaner will actually make it much faster and easier to keep your showers, tubs and faucets clean.
i swear by the If You Care 100% Natural Reusable Sponge Cloths, they can be laundered up to 300 times, absorb 20 times its weight, are tear resistant and best yet streak free! i’ve tried other brands with no success.
vinegar is not safe for natural stone materials, check with your manufacturer for specific details.